START YOUR PROJECT
Getting Started in Wood Carving – Tips For Beginners
One of the beauties of wood carving is that it is a fun, accessible, and creative craft that doesn’t require a fancy workshop or equipment. All you need, when put simply, is a piece of wood and something sharp to carve it with. If you are interested in getting started with wood carving, you’ve come to the right place.
Tips for Getting Started With Wood Carving
Ramelson is a leading manufacturer of handmade wood carving tools in the United States. We have some of the best wood carving tools for beginners, making it easy to find exactly what you need to get started in the craft. In this quick wood carving for beginner’s guide, we’ll share some of the most important information beginners need to know before they get started.
Know the Different Methods of Carving
As a beginner, you may not be familiar with all of the different methods of carving there are. There are four main carving styles that are most popular — it’s good to figure out which techniques best fit your abilities as well as your desired project results before you go and purchase materials and supplies. The four main carving styles include:
- Whittling – Whittling is one of the oldest forms of wood carving and is known for its sharp and textured cuts. This style is performed with the use of a whittling knife.
- Chip Carving – Chip carving involves using a carving knife, carving chisel, and hammer to chip away pieces of wood. This technique is often used for creating intricate patterns.
- Relief Carving – Relief carving is the process of carving figurines into wood. It involves using a flat panel of wood, carving a figurine or object into it, and leaving the back flat.
- Carving in the Round – This style of wood carving involves carving to make objects smooth with round angles, hence the name.
Start With the Best Types of Wood for Carving
Once you have decided on a wood carving style, you should get to know what types of woods you’ll be working with as you get started in the exciting endeavor of wood carving. For beginners, it’s best to start with softer woods. Whatever type of wood you choose, be sure to purchase it from an art and crafts store or wood supplier to ensure quality. Some great types of wood for beginners include:
- Basswood – fine grain, easy to carve
- Pine – medium grain, easy to carve
- Butternut – coarse grain, easy to carve
Start Building Your Collection of Wood Carving Tools
While it’s okay to start with one or two carving knives as a beginner, you’ll want to start building your collection of wood carving tools so that you have more range and flexibility when it comes to carving. The most economical way to purchase wood carving tools is to buy them in a set. Wood carving sets typically have the essential tools you need to cover most carving situations you may encounter. You can find some of the best beginner carving tools in hand-curated sets when you shop the available selection of tools at Ramelson.
These three tips are essential for beginners when it comes to getting started with the wood carving craft. It’s best to familiarize yourself with the different types of wood as well as the best methods for carving. Then, you can purchase a wood carving knife set and continue to add to your collection of wood carving tools as needed.
Best Wood Carving Tools for Beginners
Ready to get started with wood carving but aren’t yet equipped with the tools you need? Browse the selection of wood carving tools and carving sets from Ramelson. Visit our website or online store to learn more information.